Address Book Q&A
I am getting a message that my *.BTR file is
missing or damaged.
2. I am receiving a "Pre-Image Open
Error" when accessing my Address Book.
3. My View/Books menu command does not list all
of my Address Books.
4. How do I change the name on the cover of my
5. When I enter a new person into my book,
another person's information keeps appearing.
6. The file tabs at the bottom of the screen are
7. The message "Unable to open file"
appears when I try to open my file.
8. I receive the message "Unable to save
address book file" after editing a record.
9. How do I search for a street address?
10. The List and Database Views in my address
book are blank.
11. My address book pages do not turn in the
12. I am unable to modify my Page Names and
13. Each time I switch address books, my display
14.I get the message "Unable to open private book" after installing the program on new computer.
1. I am getting a
message that my *.BTR file is missing or damaged.
Each address book file has an
*.ADR file (for example, WHITE.ADR) which contains the information shown on the page view.
There is also a corresponding *.BTR (for example, WHITE.BTR) file which contains the
database information that you see when you double-click a persons name, or view your
book in List or Database view. You may also have a *.BTD file, which stores records which
you have deleted.
If you move or delete your *.BTR file, or if this file becomes corrupted, you will
receive the above error message.
If you receive this message, please check the following:
1. Please check to see that both the *.ADR and *.BTR files are in the same directory. If
they are not, move them so that they are. (You may not have a *.BTD file; this file is not
2. If you have a recent backup of your data, restore both the *.ADR and *.BTR files from
the backup, and try to open these files from Address Book.
3. If you do not have a recent backup of your data, and you have a Support contract, please
contact Technical Support regarding this problem, and we will arrange for you to submit
your files for review, via e-mail.
2. I am receiving a
"Pre-Image Open Error" when accessing my Address Book.
indicates that your *.BTR (for example, WHITE.BTR) file has become corrupted. In order to fix your
file, you will need a Btrieve database utility called BTFiler [info, download].
Once you have downloaded this file:
1. Back up your DeskTop Set data. You are about to use BTFiler to repair your address book.
If your address book is badly damaged, you may lose valuable information while attempting
to repair it. It is extremely important that you make a backup of your data before
2. Copy your *.BTR (for example, WHITE.BTR) file from your c:\DTS\data directory into the
3. Run BTFiler.
4. From the BTFiler menu, choose File/Test - Rebuild Btrieve File. Then click
File and press Enter.
5. BTFiler will prompt you for the file you wish to recover. Enter your files name,
such as WHITE.BTR. It is not necessary to type a path.
6. Do not change the Work File Drive - this can be left blank. Press Enter to begin
repairing your file.
7. If you receive any BTFiler error messages, your file may be irretrievable. Please see
the BTFiler documentation for further details.
8. When BTFiler is finished repairing your file, copy your *.BTR file from the BTFiler
directory into your c:\DTS\Data directory.
9. Run Address Book, and attempt to open your file. You should find that the file opens
3. My View/Books menu
command does not list all of my Address Books.
This list only displays the
address books you have opened recently. If you have not yet opened a book, or if you have
moved your books to a new location, some books may not appear in this list.
To resolve this, choose File/Open from the menu, locate the book, and open it.
It will then appear in the View/Books list.
If you wish to reset your View/Books list, quit all DeskTop Set applications.
Run Windows Explorer, and view the contents of your c:\DTS\data directory. Delete the file
named OKNAFILE.STP. The next time you run Address Book, your View/Books list will be
blank. As you open your various address books, these books will be added to the list.
4. How do I change the name on the cover of my Address Book?
change the cover of your book, right-click on the cover and choose Customize from the list
You can also choose File/Setup... from
the Address Book menu, then click the File tab. Type your book's new name in the
5. When I enter a new
person into my book, another person's information keeps appearing.
enter a new record by typing the person's Page Name and Page Phone into a blank line in
Page View, DeskTop Set will search Address Book to see if this person's phone number
matches any other entry. If it does, DeskTop Set will automatically copy the address
information from the matching record into your new record. For example, if you are
entering a new employee at work, DeskTop Set will recognize that you have other entries
with the same phone, and automatically fill in the business address based on the other
people who work there.
If you would like to override this feature, do not enter the name and phone in Page
View - instead, enter your new record by double-clicking on a blank line. This will open a
blank folder, and you may enter the persons information from there.
This situation can also be caused if you have specified a Master record. Master records
are useful when you are entering many people from the same company into your address book.
By specifying a Master record, you avoid having to type the same address and phone number
repeatedly, for each person.
If you would like to unlink your Master record, highlight the record that the repeating
information belongs to. Then choose Edit/Link master from the menu. Remove the
checkmark next to each field, and click OK. From now on, each new record you enter
will be blank.
6. The file tabs at the
bottom of the screen are not working.
Your file tabs may stop working correctly
if your files are moved over a network, or manually copied to a hard drive instead of
using DeskTop Set Backup utility. If a file tab does not open the appropriate file:
1. Right-click the tab, and select Delete from the window that
appears. Please note that this will not delete your address book! It will only remove the
2. Choose File/Open from the address book
menu, locate your file and open it. A new file tab will appear at the bottom of the
7. The message
"Unable to open file" appears when I try to open my file.
message may appear if your files are moved over a network, manually placed on the hard
drive, or restored from a backup made on a machine with a different DeskTop Set data
To resolve this issue, click OK repeatedly as these messages appear, until you
return to a blank address book. Then click File/Open from the menu, locate your
file, and open it. This message should not appear again, (although it may appear on other
address books; if this message appears with other books, repeat this procedure).
8. I receive the
message "Unable to save address book file" after editing a record.
message may appear if your address book becomes damaged. If you receive this message,
select File/Utilities/File doctor from the Address Book menu, check all available
options, and click OK. File Doctor will perform a series of checks to ensure that
your database is in good condition, and fix any problems (if possible). You should then
find that you are able to edit records, or enter new ones, normally.
If this does note resolve the issue, it may be that your system contains a Btrieve
driver conflict. Please search your system for a file called WBTRCALL.DLL.
This file should only appear in your c:\DTS\Programs and your c:\windows\system
directories. Rename any other occurrences of this file to WBTRCALL.OLD, then restart
Windows. This will resolve any Btrieve conflicts on your system, and should also resolve
the error message.
9. How do I search for
a street address?
You can create a query search to find a street address. Below
are directions for creating two searches; one for home addresses, and one for business:
Business Address Search
1. Choose Search/Query from the menu.
2. Click the New button.
3. Name the new search Business Address.
4. In the first line of the search, set Field to <ADDR ONE>.
5. Set Operator to CONTAINS.
6. Set Search for to the name of the street you are looking for.
7. Click the Save button
Home Address Search
1. Choose Search/Query from the menu.
2. Click the New button
3. Name the new search Home Address.
4. In the first line of the search, set Field to <HOME ADDR1>.
5. Set Operator to CONTAINS.
6. Set Search for to the name of the street you are looking for.
7. Click the Save button.
Running the Searches
When you want to use the searches:
1. Click the Home or Business search name.
2. Click the Edit button.
3. Change the Search for text to the name of the street you are looking for.
4. Click the Save button.
5. Click the Search button.
This will produce a list of entries with addresses on this particular street. Select
the entry you want from the list, and click the Show button to view that
Note that you can also combine these two searches to find both business and home
addresses at once. Please see the User Guide for details on creating Query searches.
10. The List and
Database Views in my address book are blank.
If these views are blank, or if
any of the tabs inside a persons Folder are blank, your list configuration file may
have become damaged. You will need to restore a fresh copy of this file to your data
1. Quit all DeskTop Set applications.
2. Use Explorer to look inside the c:\dts\data\cfg
folder. If you installed DeskTop Set into the recommended locations, your settings
files appear here.
3. Copy the file named DTSLIST.CFG into the c:\dts\data folder. Let this file
overwrite the file that is already there.
4. You can now run Address Book, and you should find that the List and Database Views
If you find that the problem persists, and you are running Windows, please start
your machine in Safe Mode to see if this resolves the problem (see Windows' online Help
for more information on Safe Mode).
If your List and Database View appear properly in Safe Mode, the problem is your
video driver. Please contact your video board's manufacturer for updated
drivers. These are almost always available for free download from the manufacturer's
web site. After installing these updated drivers, you should find that your List and
Database views appear correctly.
11. My address book
pages do not turn in the correct order.
If your address book pages do not turn
in the correct order when you use either the Page Up/Page Down keys or the scroll arrows
on the Toolbar, your pages have become unlinked. This may be caused by a sudden power
outage, if you exit Windows improperly, or if your book is open and a General Protection
Fault error unrelated to DeskTop Set occurs.
To rebuild your page links, run Enhanced File Doctor to manually specify the order that
your pages should be in:
While holding down the Shift key, select File/Utilities/File Doctor from
the Address Book menu. The Re-link Pages window will appear.
If you only have one page of entries per letter:
a) In first column select Page A1.
b) In the second column, select Page B1.
c) In the third column, select PageC1.
d) Click Select, and then Link. The following example may be helpful:
If you have more than one page for any given letter
a) Order the pages accordingly (D2 comes after D1 and before D3, etc.)
b) Continue through all pages that you are having trouble with.
c) When you are finished, select File/Utilities/File Doctor (do not hold Shift),
and run this with all options checked.
12. I am unable to
modify my Page Names and Numbers.
Be sure that QuickSearch is turned off by
clicking the Search menu. If QuickSearch is checked, select this option to
Because Quick search will automatically begin searching for a record as soon as you
begin typing, you cannot edit pages while QuickSearch is on.
Once QuickSearch is disabled, you can do a single QuickSearch by pressing the Ctrl
and Alt keys simultaneously, and typing the text you are searching for into the
blue QuickSearch window that appears.
13. Each time I switch address books, my
display properties change.
You may choose a different display style for each of your address books.
If the display style for a book keeps changing, check the book's Presentation
a) Right-click the address book's file tab at the bottom
of the screen (if you do not see the file tabs, choose View/File tabs
from the address book menu).
b) Choose a Presentation style from the list of available
c) Click OK.
14. I get the message "Unable to open private book" after installing the program on my new computer.
Address Book files designated as 'Private' won't open on new computer if that installation uses another serial number. There are three ways to work around this problem:
1. Go back to your old computer, use the File/Setup... command, select the File tab, and select the Public option. Transfer book files (*.adr and *.btr) to your new computer, and, if you wish so, select the Private option
2. Use the same serial number on your new computer as you used on your old PC. This is, probably, the best option, since it preserves all of the prior
Step 1. Turn off antivirus software program (if any);
Step 2. Run the Install program, preferably the most recent
Step 3. If the Install program detects DeskTop Set on your
computer it runs in the update mode that is 100% data-safe;
Step 4. If this is a new installation, DeskTop Set will
generate a random serial number. If you already have pre-existing serial
number, type or paste it over random number, otherwise you Product Key
will not work.
Step 5. Click the Update or the Install button to complete
Step 6. Turn back your antivirus software.
Step 7. Restart the computer.…
3. Reset your Address Book to use the new serial number.
Step 1. Select the File/Open command;
Step 2. Hold down shift-ctrl-alt keys;
Step 3. Double-click the file you cannot access...
This will reset the files to Public mode. If you wish, select the Private attribute again.
I get the message
"Call to an Undefined Dynalink" when logging a phone call or closing the Phone
Log setup window.
This Windows error is caused by an outdated DLL file in the
c:\windows directory. The problem can be resolved by renaming the DLL file ctl3dv2.dll into ctl3dv2.old:
Please note that DeskTop Set installs a version of this same .DLL file in the
\windows\system directory. This version is needed to run DeskTop Set, and should not be
changed in any way. The only copy of this file that should be renamed is the one that
appears in c:\windows.
2. How do I import
pictures from digital camera or scanner?
DeskTop Set 6.0c and later lets you
import pictures from TWAIN scanners and digital scanners right into your Address
Book Folders. Please note that your scanner or digital camera must be installed and
working correctly before DeskTop Set will recognize them.
To import images directly from your scanner or digital camera:
1. Make sure your scanner or camera is connected, and turned on.
2. Open the Folder that you wish to import a picture into.
3. Click the Record tab at the top of the Folder, and then the Picture tab at the bottom of
4. Click Select source
to choose a scanner or camera from a list of installed
5. Click Acquire
to begin importing the picture from the selected device. This
procedure will vary, depending on your device. Please see your TWAIN devices
documentation for specific help on this process.
to review advanced scanning options before
acquiring the image.
Click the Help button for detailed assistance
with importing pictures from TWAIN devices.
1. How can I convert
Version 3 address book to Version 6 format?
If you are upgrading from DeskTop
Set Version 3.x, your will need to use a special utility to convert your data files. You
may download this utility by clicking here. To
convert your book(s), simply run this file and follow the on-screen prompts.